Our Club is rich in history and a true testament to the local community and all involved for getting to where we are today. There are countless contributors, members and champions not mentioned here, but are instrumental to the Club’s success and standing today.
The Warragul Country Club (then known as Warragul Golf Club) was born from a meeting of 13 passionate golfers held on 4th March 1907, opening in June of that same year. The Honourable Michael Scott, a young golfing pioneer who was to dominate Victorian amateur golf, brought great depth of knowledge of the game to the new Warragul club.
On the move! In 1910 the Club moved, leasing an 80-acre site which was later to become the nucleus of where the Warragul Country Club as it now stands. At the time, Sunday play upset the owner of the land, and a move was made to “Killarney”, a 400-acre property a mile to the east of the Warragul township.
Another move was made to our current home. The land was purchased for £1,774 (≅ $3270AUD). Syd Bennett commissioned to design an 18-Hole course.
Women in Golf. 1927 saw the First Ladies Championship at the Warragul Country Club, a traditional event fondly carried through to this day. The first ladies committee commenced in 1940.
Introduction of the Ross Trophy. This annual event commemorates Roy Everard Ross, Club President between 1927 – 1931 and 1935 – 1937. In addition to being a generous Club benefactor, Roy was the inaugural president of the West Gippsland District Golf Association and personally selected all of the original trees planted on the course.
The Old Clubhouse was built. Later extended, the Clubhouse was renovated many times up until its removal in 1995 when replaced by the $1.3 million Warragul Country Club premises in use today. A memorial plaque is displayed on the 11th tee – the original location of the Old Clubhouse.
Introduction of the Logan Trophy. This memorial event was introduced in 1950 to commemorate Emily ‘Ma’ Logan for her thoughtfulness for the Warragul Golfers. Living adjacent to the golf course, Ms. Logan erected a refreshment stand and water tank with a tap and glasses to refresh golfers after the long, uphill par 5 to the 10th hole.
Introduction of the E.W. Chenu Trophy. This annual event honours Edward ‘Ted’ Chenu, Club captain from 1947 – 1949 and part-time secretary manager from 1949 – 1961. Ted was known as a driving force in constitutional and social changes at the Warragul Country Club.
Introduction of the George Lowe Trophy. George was a significant contributor to the formation of the Warragul Country Club, and the designer of much of the current golf course layout. Titled Club Professional in 1946, George is fondly remembered as an influential expert golf tutor and Life Member.
Late 1960s – Early 1980s
George Lowe redesigned the course after World War Two when land had to be relinquished due to Housing Commission acquisition, with subsequent alterations to the front nine being made by George Naismith and Kevin Hartley.
Introduction of the Nancy Pattinson Trophy. The trophy marks the exceptional club service and golfing achievements of one of the Club’s most influential women golfers. A member of the Country Club since 1952, Nancy Pattinson was women’s president in 1973-74 and 1989-90; captain in 1980-81, and served as president of West Gippsland Ladies in 1983-84. For her contribution to women’s golf, she was awarded Life Membership in 2007.
The New Clubhouse was built.
The Clubhouse renovations finished – introducing the Clubhouse we know and love today.
The Club is proud to officially be titled an Official Host Venue of the PGATA, hosting one of the sixteen major PGA Australasian Tournaments – the Gippsland Super 6 Tournament.
With thanks to Norman L. Pattinson (deceased) & Kevin Richardson for their book, ‘From Farmland to Fairways’, for publishing our history which has helped shape this Club History page. Thanks to Kevin Richardson and Joy Watts (imagery) for their further assistance, and every other Member for their contribution to the Club over the years.
For more information, please visit your local Baw Baw Shire Library to borrow a copy of this book.
If you have historical photos or information you would like to share with us for our archives, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.